In today’s busy, active world, it’s important for seniors to stay connected with family and friends. An active social life is vital to maintaining physical strength and mental well-being. Here are 5 FREE ways to stay connected:
- Sign up quickly and easily at www.gmail.com to create your own free email address. Having an e-mail address allows you to send electronic letters to friends and family – the modern version of hand-written letters, without the delays and inconvenience of traditional postal services. There are many different email services, but Gmail (owned by Google) is one of the easiest to use. Other options include services through your phone or cable provider (e.g., rogers.com, bell.net) or outlook.com (owned by Microsoft).
- Using your email address, it’s simple to join Facebook.com. It is a free website that allows the sharing of stories, pictures, videos and any other type of update that you want to share with friends and family. It’s a terrific way to share photos of grandchildren and vacation adventures.
- Pinterest is a free website that allows you to find pictures, crafts, recipes and other items that you like. Do you have a family favourite recipe? You can post it on Pinterest so that you always know where to find it, and anyone else looking for a good recipe can find it too. Do you love doing crafts? There are millions of ideas for new crafts, including pictures and instructions. When you find one you like, you “pin” it to your board so it’s always handy.
- Skype is a free service for holding video conversations with anyone, anywhere in the world. There are no long distance charges or other expenses. All you need is a computer with a camera (“webcam”) and microphone. Just sign up using your free Microsoft account.
- Google is the premier service for finding absolutely anything on the internet. Other “search engines” such as Bing, Yahoo and Ask.com are very similar, but google has become the standard. Using your web browser (such as Chrome or Edge), go to www.google.ca, type in your question and you will get thousands of answers instantly. Typing in your search as a question or a series of search words generates different results, so if you don’t see what you’re looking for, just change how you ask the question. Google now also comes with a built-in voice search – say “ok google” and then speak your question to get instant answers.
To learn more, call New Start Computer Training today.
Simplifying computers for beginners, boomers and beyond.
© New Start Computer Training 2016
All logos are the property of their respective owners.